Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Monday, December 25, 2006

Monday Night

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

We hope that you have had a very meaningful day and that you have celebrated the birth of Jesus with God in your presence and being glorified.

We are doing okay, have had a very busy two days, and today has not been a real good one for Marty. Yesterday we had three services at church and Marty attended all of them and sang in the choir for two of them; the morning and the 11:15pm services. The services when well, particularly the 7pm service which included an intergenerational play that was really good and very meaningful. It certainly was very relevant to our day and age. At any rate, Marty also spent time Saturday and yesterday making her cinnamon rolls from scratch for the staff at church and the neighbors. She admits that she was really tired last night when she went to bed.

Then, today we had to go for a CBC and it showed that the WBC’s were down to 300, Hgb. was 9.7, and the Platelets were 5,000 which were way below the 20,000,when is time for a transfusion of platelets. So, we made the trip to St. V’s and Marty got 12 units of platelets. With the WBC being so low we are not sure she will start feeling better for a few days. Also, her shoulder has started up again with more discomfort. After she got the shot in the shoulder last Tuesday it seemed like the discomfort was very controllable and the shoulder useable, but today it has been more difficult to control and use. With the WBC being at 300 some of this is expected and has happened before. Perhaps the WBC will go a little lower today and tomorrow, but by Thursday/Friday because of the shots of Neupogen, that she gives herself each day, the WBC should be on the way up so that by the week-end it should be leveling off. When it gets to 5000, we will be heading back for more chemo.

It was really interesting going to Indy and back today, because there where very few places open. We saw about 5 or 6 gas stations open and two golden arches drive throughs open. At any rate, it made me stop and think about the fact that we can indeed slow down our lives, spend time together, hopefully with God in mind. It made me also think about the way things were when I was growing up. In PA, we had the Sunday Blue Laws and the stores, etc were not allowed to be open, sport events had to be over by 5pm, and things were really different. It seemed good to me today to see our society in what appeared to be a slower mode. Praise the Lord!

I came across this little “A Christmas Thought” by H. S. Rice and kept it to share with you today:
If there had never been a Christmas
or the Holy Christ Child’s birth.
Or the angels singing in the sky
of promised peace on earth.
What would the world be like today
with no eternal goal?
What would the temporal body be
without a living soul?
What would give us courage
to push on when hope is dead.
Except the Christmas message
and the words our Father said:
“In love I send My only Son
to live and die for you.
And through His resurrection
you will gain a new life too.”

We hope that you have had a positive and meaningful Christmas and to God be the glory.

Marty and Jack
John 3:16

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Marty that she has a right to take a break once in a while. Though I know she won't pay attention to that thought. The squirrels had a wonderful meal on Christmas Day. They let me do all the work. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, I know my squirrels did.

Love
Susie

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home