Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Saturday Evening

A Positive and Blessed Evening and Day Tomorrow to All of You!

God is so good – all the time. All the time – God is so good. God is at work in your life and in mine even this day and hour and minute. Thanks be to God! Praise the Lord!

This morning coming up on the elevator there were several other people who got off on floors before I got off. Of course, I had started a conversation on the elevator about this or that, I don’t even remember what. But, I do remember that each of them said “Have a good day” when they got off on their floors. At that point, God put some thoughts in my head. First one being that we can’t control having a “good” day because things we consider “bad” can happen outside our control. So, what does really control our day and I suggest to you that it is our attitude toward what happens to us that really controls our day. So, how do we say that to someone else in 3 or 4 words? I was thinking about that when I got off the elevator and the secretary at the surgery floor desk said good morning and all of that. So, I returned the greetings and talked with her a little. Upon leaving she said “Have a good day” so, I explained to her what was going on in my mind and asked her if she could think of another way to say it. Well, after leaving her and going just a short way down the hall I thought of it and so I went back and told her. She agreed it was the right one and we agreed to be a team of two to change the world. And the saying is “Have a positive day.” That is something that we, you and I, and everyone can control no matter what happens to us in a days time. It is certainly something that Norman Vincent Peale would agree with as he wrote so much about “positive thinking.” And last but not least there is no doubt in my mind that that is a God thing. Jesus approached everything with a positive attitude and taught us to do the same. So, let’s do it, and let’s witness to others this positive teaching of Jesus’. “Have a positive day.”

Marty started her day with her calendar scripture of Col. 4:2 “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” She and I both found that to be pretty powerful and meaningful. If indeed we devoted ourselves to prayer then we would not be devoted to a lot of other things, and that would certainly make for a positive day. Also, with being “watchful and thankful” Marty has continued to do her “blessing book” especially while here in the hospital. When we thankfully watch what others are doing and saying it is really interesting to see how many blessings there are in our life. Praise the Lord!

Well, I guess that is my sermon for the week since I am not preaching tomorrow and now let’s say a little about Marty. She really had a bad night sleeping last night, but has had a pretty good day today. The sleeping problem was because of a medicine that she has to take in connection with the chemo, it is a steroid, and it really makes Marty’s legs jump all over, she cannot stop them and has a terrible time sleeping. She talked to the doctor this morning and now has some medicine to take when that happens. We will see how it works tonight as she has chemo tonight.

Today, she has eaten three good meals, sat in the chair three different times, and so far has walked the halls three times with the plan to do it once more. She also has been reading a lot and really having a pretty good day – praise the Lord! She has had some neck pain today that has been relieved with pain medication and heat. Her shoulder has been good since Friday, as has her back and hip. Praise the Lord!

Well this has gone on far too long so I better put a close to it. So, I will invite you to join me in saying when you leave someone – “Have a positive day and God bless!”

Marty and Jack
John 3:16

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack, Marty and Buddy,
What an inspirational sermon! Thank you! I just woke up at 6:45 a.m. and started thinking I shouldn't have slept in so much with all I have to do, but after reading your message, my mind just got peaceful. Soooo...I'm going to take a shower, go grocery shopping, and make some more cookies/candies while working on laundry. Oh, by the way, there will be a goodie plate waiting for you all when you get home! Made some hard-rock candy for the first time yesterday and it turned out very nice! No new news on Aunt Doris but wanted to let you know what Kristen said the other day..."I know God can make miracles happen, but it's up to him which ones." Much Love and "Have a Positive Day", Cathy :o)

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home