Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wednesday Evening

Greeting to all!

Hope that all of you are doing well and enjoying this Spring weather that we have been having. Today was not as good as yesterday, tomorrow is to be rainy, and then the week-end is to be beautiful. See, their I go, complaining already, can never be happy with the weather!

Well, it has been some time since we posted and for some reason Marty and I both had our dates wrong, we were thinking that we would see Dr. Lee today but it is not until next Wednesday. So, here is an update. The shot that Marty was given to help build the red blood count and the fatigue has not seemed to work in our opinion. It does not seem like her energy level has gotten much better at all. Marty is still quiet tired all the time, and after she really exerts herself she has to lie down. Last Friday, she was able to receive a block in her lower spine for that pain and it seems like it has helped some. She is still having some bad pain when she is on her feet too long, but she has also cut down on the amount of pain medicine that she is taking. So, though it is not all that we had hoped for, it has seemed to help some. Praise the Lord!

Marty is serving on the Session of our church and is the chair of the Faith Commitment Team. Tonight she had the first meeting of the team and has gotten them started on the areas of ministry that they are responsible to do. That she had not gotten anything done on this had been bugging her for some time. So, now they are underway, so that is good. Praise the Lord!

Marty is still having discomfort in the right shoulder and both shins. The shins particularly have been a problem area since right before she went into the hospital August 15th and we found out what was going on. The shoulder has been a problem since the first or second chemo treatment. No one has really been able to say why, except that it could be the cancer working in the bone marrow in those areas. Recently, we got a medical excuse so that Marty does not have to wear the shoulder belt on the seat belt, as a passenger in a car, because it hurts her so much.

For your information, I have been taking care of a few things myself. The tooth that I broke the first day Marty was in St. V’s last August is now all capped and doing fine. This past Tuesday I saw my heart doctor (missed the six month appointment last October because we were in Indy) for my yearly check up and for a surgery clearance. The check up went fine; and the surgery will be on my left knee on Friday, April 27th. I believe that I have mentioned before that last November I had an MRI of that knee and learned that I had a bad vertical tear of the meniscus. So, that is to be repaired and the knee cleaned out. I am to be on crutches for 3 to 5 days and then all is to be well. So, I am getting things taken care of in good order. Praise the Lord!

At least one thing that neither of us are having a problem with is eating and gaining weight. We both are weighing more than we ever have in our lives and cannot really do that much about it. I am on a “see food diet” it seems – I see food and do I ever eat it. Marty does not seem to be eating more food, in fact seems to be eating less, but has still gained weight. At times it seems to be water retention, but some is also weight. So, we still are not quite sure what that is all about. It seems like we never do things the way most people do, but God is so good – all the time! All the time – God is so good.
Well, I have gone on for a lot longer that I had planned to, but I do believe it has brought you all up to date. So, for all of us, I want to lift up Deuteronomy 32:3,4 which reads: “I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God! He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.” What awesome verses these are, how fitting they are for even our day and age, and how meaningful they are no matter what our present situation in life. Praise the Lord! When I think about how long ago Deuteronomy was written and what we understand the world was like isn’t it amazing that the author would proclaim “things” about our God that we still experience and proclaim today. That is just awesome and mind boggling. To me it is a true affirmation of our God and what He has done and does do. Praise the Lord!

You know I am going to type those verses on a sheet of paper and keep it on my desk because it is such a great reminder for me and for all of us, of who God is and what He does. I do hope that you can find meaning in them as well, make them a part of your life, and give to God the glory.

Have a positive day and God bless.

Marty and Jack
John 3:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home