Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Friday, June 08, 2007

Friday Evening

Greetings:

Hope you are all well and everything is going positively for you and all of those who you love.

Marty has had the first chemo treatment and all is going well. It started at about 12:30 pm and that is the time it will be given the next four days. So, if you think about it, you might say a prayer about that time the next four days. There are some pretty common side-effects to the agents in this chemo that she is getting but, so far she only has one and that it no big deal. One of the medications turns the urine to a blue-green color. That one is not a problem, but some of the others are not to be looked forward to. Hopefully, Marty will not have to experience them.

Today, she has made her rounds by walking the halls four different times. Yesterday, she walked about half the distance that she used to walk, two times. And today she increased that to three fourths of the distance and did it four times. So, that is really great. Praise the Lord! The walking has been hard on her back, hip, and leg but Marty is trying to take medication ahead of time and then lays down in bed as soon as we get back to the room. So, she is trying to manage the discomfort as best she can and it is working fairly well. Praise the Lord!

Marty has eaten her three meals today. Breakfast and lunch were kind of light but she ate all that she ordered. Then for dinner she had a chicken breast sandwich, chips, veggies, and fresh fruit. That was a good dinner and she ate it all.

So, all in all, this has really been a pretty darn good day. Praise the Lord! God is good – all the time! All the time – God is good!

I have been thinking more about my conversation on the elevator yesterday with the man about “trusting the elevator.” Have you ever thought about how much you trust people and things you really don’t know on a daily basis? That is a part of what I have been thinking about and the reality of it, I think is pretty amazing. Then, I have thought about how we don’t trust some others for no good reason, and maybe even on a rumor and/or gossip basis. Further, it seems to me that there are a number of times on a daily basis that we don’t even trust ourselves, for one reason or another. So, when it comes to “trust”, as important as it is in life, it seems like we are all over the board with our reasons for trusting and not trusting.

The experience Marty and I have had the past 10 months and are having now, has taken a lot of trust in God, in ourselves, and in those who have provided the medical care for Marty. But, it is not something that I have really thought about until the conversation yesterday. And then I have been putting in place how much I have “trusted” those I know and those I don’t know in so many ways, some that I realize and some that I don’t. It kind of becomes a “habit” and/or something that I take forgranted. That then raises the question, is that what we do with God as well? I think that it gives us a lot to think about not only with our relationship with God, but also with our relationship with one another.

Have a positive day and God bless.

Marty and Jack
John 3:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home