Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Early Sunday Morning – 5:00 am

Greetings:

Saturday was truly a day of transition and it is not completed yet. I was sure I was going to be able to tell you Marty had her WIN with the Lord, and soon I do believe I will be able to, but as of now I cannot.

Saturday morning was a difficult time. Marty got up about 7:30 am to use the bedside toilet and we found that she was hurting all over her body. You could not touch her that she did not hurt and so she had a very difficult time getting back in bed. At that time I called hospice and the nurse came checked her all over, had a good conversation with her, talked to the doctor to increase the medicine, and we thought we were pretty well set. Marty had some yogurt for breakfast and went off to sleep. This was about 10:30 am. She slept very peacefully until a little after 4 pm and then her breathing pattern changed. We talked to hospice again several times and tried several different things to try and be sure that Marty was comfortable. At around 6 pm Claudia, our hospice nurse, arrived and felt that the end of Marty’s transition to her heavenly WIN was nearing.

The first thing that Eric did was to make arrangements to get Erin here. And we are certainly grateful, beyond words, to Nancy and Emily Black from Defiance and Cheryl Jaqua who met half way to get Erin here. Praise the Lord for those three and thank you very much. With all the grandchildren, Marty’s love, here they had their time with grandma before they went to bed. The surprise for them may be that she is still here when they get up but still unable to respond to them.

It was a little after midnight when Claudia left because it seemed like Marty had leveled off at a very low level and perhaps was not going to complete the transition until later. And indeed that has been true. It is now after 5:30 am and Marty is still breathing but not responding to me.

We have said from the beginning that Marty was in a win – win situation and that the Lord our God had a plan that we wished to be faithful to so that God would indeed be glorified. Our faith and our belief told us that and we Praise the Lord for that information. At the same time I acknowledge that it was not and is not my understanding of God’s plan that knows and/or understands the details of the plan. We certainly are experiencing again that God is in control and I pray to Him for His grace to receive Marty into His everlasting keeping of peace and love. The two things that Marty strived for, exemplified, and wanted the most in life were peace and love. And I pray that she will soon fully have them with her Lord, and I will glorify and thank Him forever for His child and servant Martha May Veenis Hess. Praise the Lord!

I will let you know as the day progresses and may we all have a very positive day to the glory of God. May the Lord bless you.

Jack
John 3: 16

Ps This has not been proofed, so I will have to take credit for any and all errors, but I will not charge extra for them. You are welcome!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack,

I'm happy for Marty, that she'll soon get to be with our Lord, because it truly is a WIN for her.

I'm praying for a peaceful passing for Marty, and for you and your family, that you're able to find peace and to come together in this time, because you will surely need each other. Most of all, I'm praying that everyone can find comfort in this situation.

We love you and think of you every day. Both you and Marty are very special people who changed our floor and our lives forever.

I'm glad that both you and Marty have your family there with you, as Marty heads to Heaven.

You're always in my thoughts & prayers. God Bless!

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home