Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sunday Night

Greetings:

This has been a sleepy time day for Marty. Last night she had a tea party with the kids and they drank “sleepy time tea” and I think it must have really worked on Marty. No, the real reason I believe she was so tired today is that she took a shower this morning. This was the first time in 5 or 6 days that she had a shower, the other days she washed in the sink. I wonder if the nurses on 6 south east at St. V’s Hospital can believe the above statements. You see in the hospital Marty had to have a shower everyday and there for a couple of days we said “NO SHOWER” and believe me she was not happy with us, particularly me. Since Marty has slept so much today, not a lot else happened that would be of interest to report.

Marty did wake up enough to welcome Jackie and George Q.; Katie and Ray Q., who brought Holy Communion to us and it was really neat for the family to take it together for the first time in along time, right here on the sun porch of our own home; Anna and John P.; and Bob and Kristi H. also stopped by this afternoon. Marty’s final visitors of the day where the pastor, wife, and 4 children of Jennifer and Travis when they lived in DeKalb, IL. They were on their way to Indy for their annual conference and wanted to stop by. It was really great to see them and all who stopped in. It was a refreshing day. Praise the Lord!

Last night the blog got a little long, so I saved one thing from last night for tonight. And that is that as I wrote about compassion, newness, and faithful-ness encouraging each of us to look at those charastics of God in each of us, I could not help but think of the nurses on 6 south of St. V’s Hospital. There is no doubt in my mind that they have compassion. For 49 days this last time I saw it and it was not only to Marty the patient, but also toward me the family. It was awesome – praise and thanks to You Lord! Most all of the shifts on 6 south are 12 and a half hour shifts and often the nurses didn’t get off on time. Yet if they worked the next day they were there on time and with a “newness” “freshness” and “readiness” to work another 12 and a half hour shift. Most of the time this did not go on for more than 3 days in a row, but then sometimes it did last for 5 days straight. Still, they were fresh and compassionate – praise the Lord! The third thing that Lamentations 3:23 listed was faithfulness and I have to say that I believe that those nurses are faithful to their God, to their patients, to each other as they worked together in four teams, and to the spirit of the hospital for patient and family care. The nurses that took care of Marty were indeed concerned for Marty’s welfare and to what was best for her and they were faithful to see that those things were done for her. Praise the Lord!
Thank you Lord for the character traits of compassion, newness, and faithful-ness that were so visible in the nurses on 6 south at ST. V’s.

Have a positive day and God bless.

Marty and Jack
John 3:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home