Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday Night

Greetings:

Well it is only 10 pm and hopefully, I am in better shape tonight than I was at 2 am on Saturday night. I still laugh about it and, understand that it was a great topic for the Adult Sunday School Class. So, you see it served a purpose! Praise the Lord!

Today has been a pretty good day. Marty has had visits from Francis J., Bonnie and Glenn R., Melissa and Levi C. and Judy F. who brought us dinner. Thanks to all, it was certainly good to see you and to have some fellowship with each and every one. However, with no offense to any of the adults, I do believe that Marty really got her greatest joy out of holding and loving that little four week old Levi. She was just smiling and having a great time during the time she had that baby in her hands. Praise the Lord! And, I might note that she has not really lost her touch to keep a baby happy.

This evening, Marty also had the pleasure of going out to the tomato garden to pick a few tomatoes, and direct me as I picked the rest of those ready to be picked. Praise the Lord! We thought that it was great that she was able to eat the tomatoes she had planted, and so tonight was even better that she went out to the garden herself. Then, on the way back in she had me go in the house and get the stool so that she could sit down at the flower garden, that she also planted, and water it. We certainly give a hardy and heart filled thanks to Cheryl J. who watered both of those gardens during the 7 weeks we were gone so that they were still alive and well for Marty to water tonight. Thank you Cheryl and praise the Lord! What a blessing!

Marty had two good meals today and a couple of snacks. And, all of her other important elements of life have been good. Claudia the hospice nurse comes tomorrow and we will see what her assessment tells us. We praise and thank God for the quality time we are having with Marty. Praise the Lord!

“We never know what a day may bring, but only that the time for serving God our Father is always present.” I have quoted that line many times but the last few weeks it has really taken on a different meaning that I comment to you. The reality is that all of us are in the same place as Marty is, we do not know when God will call us home. Yes, you say but Marty has medical evidence that her time will be sooner. Is that really true? Who would have ever guessed that Bonnie Combs would die before Marty? And, our friend Bruce who we mentioned earlier had died of cancer, did not even know about his cancer let alone thought he would die before Marty. And, the 73 year old woman that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that was in St. V’s died the afternoon of the day Marty came home. “We never know what a day may bring….” God has a plan that we and not even medicine can control; only God can. Praise the Lord! So again, that makes the bottom line the fact that we must put God in the first place and priority in our lives. Doing God’s will and living God’s way must be our first priority in life. That is hard for us to conceive and to believe that we can. After all, we want to be in control and with this new way of life we think we will not be.

Well, you know I have been learning a lot about that process over the past 11 month and even that God has the patience to change us and that we do have a different kind of control. I have had trouble receiving the grace and love of First Presbyterian Church, Peru, IN over the past 11 months. Then, I have come to learn and accept that God has me ministering to the First Presbyterian Church, Peru, IN and many, many, many more people in a different way. Now, I have the control over whether I continue to feel bad and guilty over not doing the traditional ministry at this time, or whether I put God in the first place in my life and do the ministry He wants me to do at this time and in the present situation. It has taken quite a while for me to come to a comfortable feeling with what I am doing but, have really done so during Marty’s last hospital stay. Praise the Lord! God is good – all the time! All the time – God is good! Thanks for affirming the quality and meaning of the ministry I have been doing and I pray that I can continue to allow God to use me at His will, and I certainly invite you to do the same if you are not already. Praise the Lord!

May you have a positive day and God bless.

Jack
John 3:16

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have any questions or need anything, call me! Mike dropped off the printed material at the post office for me over the weekend. You should have had it yesterday or today. HUgs and love to all of you! - Clair

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home