Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wednesday Night

Greetings

Wow! This has been a busy day. Last night Eric, Erin, and a long time friend of Eric’s, Julie and her son Holden all arrived at our house. This morning while Jennifer was taking care of Marty in the house; Eric, Julie, and I were outside cleaning the deck, gutters, and windows. None of that was done last fall or this spring, so it really needed to be done. Praise the Lord! It is almost all done. Then Jennifer, Julie, and Eric took the five children to McDonald’s for lunch. That started the people in with Cathy C. who was followed by Meg, the hospice social worker. We found her to be very delightful and certainly enjoyed our time with her. Next on the visitors list was Donna who Marty used to work with at Dukes, followed by Ray and Katie Q. who brought dinner (including Mac n’ cheese for the kids, who say “THANKS”), Cheryl J., Joan J., and arriving from Defiance, OH were Diane and Mike W., bearing care packages for all of us young & old alike. What a wonderful day it was, and having the opportunity to be with all the above was awesome.

Marty’s condition has remained much the same overnight. She does not have a lot of energy, but ate pretty good for 2 of the 3 meals today, and sure enjoys visiting with others from both near and far.

It is so good to make friends and to have them around. As I sit here and think about the places we have lived, we have seen friends from all but one of the towns and communities of faith in which we have lived. And the one we are missing is Newark, OH, were I was an assistant pastor for two years. The truth is we have, I believe, lost contact with everyone over there. But praise the Lord that is not true for all the other communities. The support we have from Peru and from all the other communities has been awesome. It has been so helpful to know you have not only God, but so many of His children right here praying and pulling for you. But for me, I pull so much from my friends that when they are not around I have to make more friends. I need to have God’s children around me. And, I believe that while we were on the 6th floor of St. V’s Hospital we did make friends and did have God’s children around us and caring for Marty. The bottom line is, that I now miss all of those who did such an awesome job taking care of Marty, while sharing God’s grace and ministering unto her while she received and recovered from the chemo. What a blessing it was to meet each and every one of them with their individual gifts that are so beautifully shared with the patients and families along with the love of God. They are a great group of nurses and I give God the praise and thanks that they came into our lives. May God be with you and bless you always, may you know and do His will, and may the glory not only be the Fathers, but yours as well.

May you receive a good rest tonight, and tomorrow be a light to Almighty God. May you be positive in all you say and do and to God be the glory to all of us as we head for home: God bless.


Marty & Jack
John 3:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home