Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday Night

Greetings!

Sorry about last night, I could not get on line. I talked to one of the chaplains and he said that he could not get on either. He had tried from home to get emails and could not. So, they must have had it down for some reason. It has worked well today, so that is good.

Marty is still not having a good day. It seems like some of the things we were expecting last fall that did not happen are happening now. Today was another new thing that the nurses tell me is not unusually. Her fibrinogen which is part of the clotting agents in the blood has been low for the last couple of days. Today was 86 and it should be between 179 – 381. So, she was given two units of cryoprecipitate and we will see where it is tomorrow. Dr. Lee told Marty they have been watching this for a couple of days and will continue to, because it can cause bleeding from all the openings of the body, if not treated.. That, of course, we don’t want, so we are looking forward to this getting under control and keeping it that way. Marty has also continued to experience a blood pressure that is higher for her, but still in the okay range. We are just wondering what medicine or whatever is causing that. The tiredness, the loss of appetite, and the weakness are still very much alive, though we wish they were not. She did come down in weight this morning by 3.3 lbs. So, again that is going in the right direction. The weakness is getting to her ability to walk. As mentioned before PT had cut her walking distance in about half the first of the week, suggesting that she walk more times and less distance. That she has been doing. But, now she gets about 1/2 of the way around the oncology floor and she has to stop and rest for about 10 minutes before she can finish the walk. So, for the time being she is going to cut the walk in half again, so that she can make it without tiring her body out so much. She continues to order her three meals off the menu and eats all most all of what they bring, but it is easy to see that it is not because she wants to, but rather because she knows she has to eat. Her intake is still more than her output, so that is going well. Today has been some what different because she has not even had the TV on except for the evening news. That is unusual, because if at home Marty normally has the TV on all day long. I think that pretty well brings you up to speed on Marty.

In Romans 14:13 Paul says: “Stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way.” For someone like me being in the hospital as much as we have been the last 10 months has been interesting because I tend to talk a lot. Tonight coming back up on the elevator I was talking to a doctor who was already tired and is on call all weekend. It was a short but interesting conservation. This morning I had conservation with the relatives of a patient who just a few weeks ago was in very bad shape and today was going home. Also, today I had a fairly long conservation with a student chaplain. She is here for the summer and presently just in her second week. Her seminary studies right now is preparation for her second carrier. Having read Roman 14:13 this morning I was trying very hard to follow Paul’s instructions. I was trying not to be judgmental in any way of what was being said, and how it was being said, because I believe that often we are too often that way. I think that when we are talking to someone and something is said with which we do not agree we very quickly become very defiant and judgmental and so often throw stumbling blocks and obstacles in their way, so that they will either follow our way or get hurt. And that I believe is a big reason that we have so many broken relationships and dysfunctional families and folks who are hurting so bad. When we become judgmental we do cause a lot of hurt and separation, rather than love and reconciliation. Check out your own daily life and see if there is more grace than there are stumbling blocks and obstacles. You may just be surprised at what you find out.

Have a positive day and God bless.

Marty and Jack
John 3:16

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Pastor Jack and Marty,
This is Smokey's daughter, Linda Stokdyk, writing to let you know Marty has been in my prayers. We are trusting in the great physician for healing. I am glad dad gave me the web site address from his Presby Press so I could check Marty's blog.

You will both be lifted up in prayer today and always.

Happy Father's Day Pastor Jack. Thank you for your kindness during the illness and passing of my brother Bruce too.

God bless you always.

--Linda Stokdyk

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home