Marty's Struggle

"I'm in a win-win situation. If I survive this struggle, I have more time to be with my grandchildren. If I don't, I get to be with my Lord." - Marty Hess

Name:
Location: Peru, IN, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

Monday Afternoon

To all of our family and friends whose support, help, call, pray, and all that are so meaningful to us!

THANK YOU!! Yes, thank you for your support, help, calls, cards, emails, prayers, and all you do that is so helpful and meaningful. Without your support and communication it would be without a doubt a more difficult journey.

While being down here in the big city and walking the halls in and out and all about, I have again been trying to note the actions of other people in relation to me. This time I have been looking at peoples eyes as I walk by without saying anything. My little experiment has shown that the majority of people will look away right away, a small number will smile, and the smallest number will say “Hi!” What does all of this mean, I don’t know, but it seems to me that it adds to our being lonely individuals out for ourselves and afraid to “relate” to someone we don’t know. Putting that down that way really makes me sad. And I guess that part of that comes from the fact that by the time I get to the car I am sad and lonely, because it makes me feel that way. And when I get to the floor I am glad to see people that I know and hear their greetings and see their smiles. It is such a better feeling to come on the floor and be around the people here. How do we, you and I, act when we are walking down the street, hall, or wherever that we are with strangers? (Or even with friends for that matter.) As children of God do we encourage other children of God with our words, deeds, and actions even if they are strangers? Or are we to wrap up in just what we are doing and/or what is going on in our lives to share and acknowledge God’s love? Join with me in thinking about and working on these observations.

Marty’s calendar scripture verse for today is: “Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds… Teach them to your children….” (Deuteronomy 11:18, 19). What awesome advice!

Well, Marty is sleeping right now, because again she had a bad night as far as sleep, so, taking a nap now is a good thing. She will start her next to the last chemo in just a few hours. Her neck and shoulder are still giving her discomfort so she deals with it with heat and pain medication. Marty’s numbers are doing their thing as they are supposed to do at this point. So, all is going well, Praise the Lord!

Marty talked to Dr. Lee a little this morning about the future and it sounds like the plan may be changing a little. He said this morning that he thought he would do a bone marrow biopsy before the next treatment, instead of waiting until after it. And if the biopsy shows what he thinks it might he will recommend that we go back to St. Francis Hospital and see the transplant doctors. So, we are praying that God will help Marty to discern His will for her as we travel on this path. God has been so good and so much healing has been done, Marty has handled all the treatment so well. So, we sure need to discern God’s will for Marty’s care now and in the future. Thank you Lord for getting us to this point and lead us to the next step.

Well, I need to bring this to a close because I am going back to Peru for the Martin Luther King, Jr. service of Christian Unity to be held at out church tonight. It is the sixth year for this service in our community. The first three years the music folks at St Charles organized the service and for the last 3 years I have organized it. It is a great service with combine church choirs and music as well as participation of pastors. It is a true time of song and praise, and God is indeed glorified. Praise and thanks be to God!

So, thanks for being there and have a positive evening to the glory of God!!

Marty and Jack
John 3:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home